(click images for full view)
First finished project of the year! Admittedly, this was mostly finished, and I could have finished it yesterday, but instead I pulled it out after many months languishing in a plastic project bag because I knew it would meet the requirements for the first challenge of Historical Sew Fortnightly ’14
The Challenge: #1- Make Do And Mend
Fabric: Very high quality cotton. This was a thrifted men’s shirt, so I did not need to do buttons or buttonholes!
Pattern: Simplicity 3551. Used mostly for shape, which had to be adapted to the shape of the existing shirt.
Year: Early 1940′s (YAY for WWII era being permissable for the HSF this year!!!)
Notions: Interfacing. Bias binding.
How historically accurate is it? Pretty accurate! But, that being said, not too many sewing techniques that are available to the home sewer today weren’t available to industrial sewing in the 1940′s. I did cut corners by using the button and buttonholes that were originally on this blouse, but the blouse itself was made from a cut apart men’s thrifted shirt, then cut to period from the blouse pattern. I cut corners by sewing the bias tape facings by machine instead of by hand, but since I plan on wearing this a lot and machine washing it, I figured a this would be faster and more durable for laundering. They did this in the 1940′s, but most often on cheaper, factory made clothing.
Hours to complete: I’m guessing around 6-8. I did cheater grade it to my size, but eyeballing it as I was cutting.
First worn: Not yet!
Total cost: About $6 for the shirt. The blouse pattern cost $15 (I know since it’s still got a sticker on the plastic sleeve), but this is my second time making it, so I think that means I should cut the cost in half, so that means the pattern cost me about $7.50, plus bias tape, thread, and interfacing which were in the stash. So maybe about $14.50ish.