Perfectly in time for the Historical Sew Monthly, my new pattern is DONE! So excited!
What the item is: 1940s Air Raid Suit
The Challenge: War and Peace
Fabric: A cotton twill that is flannel on the back side.
Stashed for how long?: Bought for this project
Pattern: the new Wearing History Phyllis Air Raid Suit or Coverall! Yay!
Year: About 1942
Notions: A gazillion buttons
How historically accurate is it? VERY!
Hours to complete: A LOT. I was pattern testing, taking blog construction photos, and sewing. It’s a time consuming pattern in the first place with the hidden drop seat, buttons up the front, tabs and buttons, and flat felled seams. So maybe 15ish? Taking into account photo and testing time, it may have been longer.
First worn: Sunday! Yay!
Total cost: I think the fabric was around $28, and the printed pattern is $18 on my website, or $12 for the e-pattern. The buttons were in my stash. So probably around $40.
Hooray!!! New pattern day!
Introducing Phyllis- named for my grandmother’s cousin who worked on airplanes during WWII.
Phyllis is an “Air Raid Suit”, or Coverall. Air Raid Suits were called Siren Suits in the UK, and were meant to be pulled on in the event of an air raid. They were also used as coveralls, for our sisters on the home front.
The original 1940’s pattern description reads:
“A well-fitted one piece air raid suit or coverall that’s easy to slip into. You’ll find it a most suitable costume for defense work and outdoor activity.”
If you’re a long time blog reader, this may look familiar to you because I made one waaay back in 2011. It’s about time I got around to finishing the pattern ;)
You can pre-order the mailed, printed pattern here.
If you don’t want to wait, the e-pattern is available now on my website. Or, if you’re in the EU, you can buy the e-pattern on my Etsy shop. Not equipped to do digital vat on my website, but you can grab it on Etsy!
Coming up next I’ll post more photos, since this qualifies for the Historical Sew Monthly challenge for this month, too!
Hope you love the new pattern! Happy sewing!
I’ve been a busy little bee!
Still working in the background on Wearing History Clothing, but I’ve managed to set aside a little time to work on sewing patterns I promised.
Firstly, the Elsie WWI Era Blouse is now available as a mailed, printed pattern where I previously only had it available as an e-pattern.
Printed Pattern: http://www.wearinghistorypatterns.com/elsie-1910s-wwi-era-blouse-pattern/
And for under it all, the new 1917 Combination Underwear & Chemise
Printed Pattern: http://www.wearinghistorypatterns.com/circa-1917-combination-underwear-chemise-pattern/
Today I’m hoping to get some good pattern work done on the 1910s Suit Pattern, so we can start the sew-a-long sooner rather than later. To keep me motivated I needed a little artistic inspiration.
I just so happen to have the original magazine the 1910s Suit Pattern was featured in! It appeared in the April, 1916 issue of McCall’s Magazine!
I made us a few little images. If you wish to participate, you can add these icons to your blog or page, if you wish. Feel free to save them.
or if you prefer, you can add this one and link to our Facebook group.
I really hope we can get started in the next few weeks. I do have some corrections I need to make to the original pattern before we can get to grading. I’m hoping to have those corrections finished up this week, with another week or so in production after that before I can offer the pattern up.
Thanks for joining along!
I just finished up another new pattern! YAY!
I’ve called this one the 1940’s Hat Wardrobe because that’s pretty much what it is! It’s got all your basic 1940’s hats needs covered.
Perfect vintage hats to fit a variety of situations. The beret and fedora look great with suits and separates. The looped turban is dressy enough for dresses. The wrapped turban is a great option for sportswear or for the WWII factory working gal.
I made the beret out of a wool/rayon felt I bought at a local quilt shop.
The fedora is also made from felt. The decoration was my invention- the original pattern calls for just a simple tied ribbon. Perhaps if you want a blog tutorial I’ll show you how to make this trimming.
I made the looped turban from a vintage taffeta. This one is super fun!
The wrapped turban is perfect for the WWII Home Front! I made mine from a reproduction quilting cotton with little kitty cats on it.
Thanks to Fat Quarters Quilt Shop for stocking such darling fabrics and great felts!
If you think tying a turban is beyond your skills- it’s not! They’re really simple, especially when you sew the base from the pattern. Check out the video that I made that shows you how!
You can buy the mailed, printed pattern here, or if you’d rather print it yourself at home, you can buy the e-pattern here.
I’m so excited about some of what I have in store for you this year! I’m gathering things together and prepping patterns to be made into Wearing History Resto-vival patterns from original period source materials. Here’s a peek at some of which I’ll have in store for you this year, God willing.
There will be a WWI era suit, circa 1916, that could easily transition into ladies uniforms with a little ingenuity.
Oh my goodness, I am SO THANKFUL for your comments and feedback you have given me! I am still on a “learning curve” with these videos, but I am glad you seem to be enjoying them.
In this video, I talk about the new “Sophie” jacket pattern, as well as the 1880’s Dinner Bodice pattern I have online. You will see original period source material from the Victorian era, and learn a little about how I take this original material and put it together into my patterns. I hope you learn something new, and enjoy the video!
Thank you for your time, and please feel free to “share” this video online with your friends :)
Hugs, and have a great weekend!