I put off doing this post, because I honestly thought I was going to finish a few unfinished projects before the year was out, but I have come to the realization that I most likely won’t, so I’m just caving in and accepting it, and here is the post!
2013 was the year of less projects than I usually do. This was, in part, due to that I was working full time doing theatre work in the field of costuming, and I didn’t have the desire to come home and do more work, even if it was for myself! But the projects I did finish, for the most part, I liked. There were, of course, a few failures. But it seems like this was the year of BIG PROJECTS. Most of these were for Costume College. This could account for why I didn’t finish as many vintage projects as I have in years prior.
A big mention needs to go to The Dreamstress’ “Historical Sew Fortnightly”. It kept me motivated throughout the year, and I loved seeing the sewing projects of other members! I’m really looking forward to it next year.
Click on the picture to be taken to the blog post, if applicable
Finished the 1899 Jacket. This will be the first Wearing History pattern of the New Year, after I finish it up (I know, it’s been a long time coming… sorry).
1868 Blue Corset
1930’s Dust Bowl Dress
Jenn’s Wedding Reception Dress
1940’s Bra (for work’s stock) from my digital pattern.
1940’s Overall Pattern Sample
Jeans from the Overall Sample (I guess I never took pictures!)
1940’s Dress for Swing Dancing. Upper Photo by Sylvia Wong. I guess I never did a blog post for this. Oops?
White 18th Century Petticoat
Late 18th Century Stays
Late 18th Century Curtain-Along Dress- doing my best Mrs Miggins. (I forgot to do a blog post on this. Whoops? Photo by Lauren of American Duchess).
18th Century Silk Petticoat
Striped 1780’s Dress
Plaid Late 1860’s Dress
1930’s Sport Dress from a Bed Sheet
1930’s Adventurey Suit Frock
1930’s Corduroy Sports Jacket
Pattern Sample- 1930’s Day or Evening Blouse and Skirt
Gray Corduroy Smooth Sailing Trousers
1930’s Chiffon Dot Blouse
1940’s Sporty Jacket (just finished two nights ago. No blog post yet!)
I guess I got more done than I thought!
UFO’s (Unfinished Objects)
– blue short sleeve knitted cardigan
– blue knitted sleeveless pullover vest
-1940’s Knit for Victory knit-a-long blouse
-Edwardian Truly Victorian S-curve corset
-gray denim from the 1940’s overall pattern
-border print 1940’s summer dress (A total and utter failure)
– Edwardian tea gown/wrapper
-1910’s linen skirt
-1910’s striped blouse from my Edwardian Blouse pattern
-striped 1940’s blouse from a thrifted man’s shirt
Yup, a lot of projects were started, then abandoned because of lack of time. If I had been more disciplined, I would have followed through, but I didn’t! They’re sitting and waiting for me to finish next year, or to abandon for good.
This year I have learned to spend more time on detailing. What makes me proud of my work are the little fiddly bits that go into them. Be it insane tucks amount of tucks (like my 18th century silk dress), or pattern matching, or seam and hem finishing- I find I need a good balance of durable, serviceable everyday vintage, and more intricate, difficult, accomplished projects to make me happy with my accomplishments.
Here’s to 2014! May it bring lots of fun, creativity, and sewing!