First off- I absoultely LOVED reading all of your comments on my last post about what goodies you’ve found in your vintage patterns! So fun! Thanks for sharing your stories and finds :)
I realized I never got around to posting this outfit! Whoops? This was another dress I made for Costume College, the annual costuming convention in California. I have a few more Victorian costumes I made for this event and I still haven’t taken proper pictures of them.
Actually, the theme of Costume College this coming year might be of interest to a lot of you. The theme is the Golden Age of Hollywood: 1930-1955. The bonus track will be focused on that time span, but there will still be a lot of classes focused on a variety of costuming interest, including historical costume.
This costume was made from Truly Victorian patterns. The bodice was a combination of a few of their patterns. Although I made this a while ago and I don’t remember my exact changes, I believe I combined the 1880 Jacket Bodice pattern with the 1879 Curaiss Bodice pattern and lengthened the sleeves to long sleeves.
The overskirt was made with the 1880 Hermione Overskirt pattern and the underskirt was made from the 1878 Fantail Skirt pattern.
I started this project several years ago and got disgusted with the way it was turning out, so put it away in my closet and completely forgot about it until about a month before Costume College. I pulled it out and tried it on. At that time it was untrimmed and I needed to fix a few fitting concerns. It is trimmed with several antique black trims I had in my stash, including the fringe and the beaded appliques. The rest of the trims, including the looped edging and the velvet ribbon bands on the underskirt are new. The bodice and overskirt are made of silk dupioni. The underskirt is made of a faux silk taffeta. The buttons up the front are vintage. The revers on the bodice and the faux cuffs are stitched down accents from black velvet.
The hat, veil, and purse are antique. I wore this over a very small bustle because I wanted the silhouette to be of the transitional period between early bustle and natural form.
In the end, I actually liked the way it turned out and I’m glad I revisited this project instead of just giving up on it and starting new :)
Have a wonderful weekend!