I’m writing this down so I don’t forget! Super yummy!
I need a place to note my adaption from The Settlement Cook Book, 1934, so it’s getting blogged so I remember my changes when I go to make it again ;)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup sour or buttermilk (I used whipping cream)
- 1/2 cup shortening (I used unsalted butter)
- 2 tsp ginger (I used 3 tsp)
- 1 tsp spices (cinnamon and clove) (I used 1 tsp of each spice)
- 2 tsp soda (baking soda)
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup currants, or in season 1 qt blueberries (I used 3/4 cup raisins)
- (I also added 2 splashes of brandy).
Mix soda and sour milk and add molasses. Cream butter, add sugar, then the egg; sift remaining dry ingredients. Combine mixtures, add currents or blueberries rolled in some of the flour. Pour into buttered shallow pans and bake in a moderately hot oven, 350 degrees, 30 to 45 minutes. Cover with icing.
Notes: The mixture is pretty thick, but it puffs up a LOT, so don’t fill up the pans or you’ll get overflow. Test the baking by seeing if a toothpick comes out clean. I didn’t use icing.