Musings on Faith, Style, and Creative Expression.

I’ve got a lot of thoughts bouncing around in my head at present, and while I know I don’t often use this blog for my personal thoughts and faith journey,  I just thought I should spend some time in the future using this blog not only for my creative endeavors, but also my faith journey and more everyday life expression of artistic style and my creative spirit in other ways.

425019_268532913222866_1160487475_n

Many of you know, I’m a Christian.  I’m a girl in my early 30s.  I’m considered an adult, and yet my life journey seems to have just been started. Every day is filled with possibility and adventure.  I’m happily married, I love my home, I love my life, I count my blessings.  I have no children, I feel at home and happy but in no way do I feel restrained.  I’m blessed.  I’m contented.  I love the beauty in life, in love, in art, in music, in creating and expression.

I work hard.  There’s a time for work and a time for play.  In everything there is a purpose and a season under heaven.  But I always want to retain my sense of wonder, my sense of how big the world is, and how humbling and glorious it is to be someone small in the midst of an amazing creation, in a tapestry of fibres weaving people and places and times.

I muse on the expression of art among the Christian women.  We express, we create, we endeavor just like anyone else.  We are sometimes hampered by the external oppression of what society expects we should like, we should wear, we should be.

What a great creation we are.  What an amazing gift to create, given from the Author of life.  In some small way, I identify with my place in the world, with myself, and the wonder of creation when I create.

427395_268533306556160_349407159_n

There’s many of us that go attend services weekly and feel like outsiders.  Like no one really “gets us”.  But God “gets us”, and knows us and loves us.

I don’t feel confined to express my style in a way that follows a silhouette outline of what people think I should be.  I can mix and match, add elements of fun and whimsy.  There is no shame in enjoying the beauty that has been given to us.  Sometimes it’s misidentified as materialistic.  To this I say, if any thing I will not give away when asked by God, it’s a sign it’s time to let it go.  Luckily, I know that this is just fun, just creative, just an outlet.  Nothing is so dear that it can’t be let go if God says to do so, because he has a great many greater things in store than we can imagine.

There’s no need to be punched from the same mold, to look the same way and speak the same lingo, if it’s not hampering our faith.  In some ways, I feel it’s more restrictive to try to fit into a way we expect we’re supposed to be seen and heard, when it has no basis in the way we really live.  We can still be free thinking, creative, and entrepreneurial and have great faith.  I dearly wish to meet more artists and kindred sprits who share the journey that can embrace expression with the beauty of faith.

969255_520673284675493_1990523784_n

The world is full of beauty and wonder for me.  Sadness, loss, and love and hope.  It’s a great, wonderful poem woven together by God.  I’m thankful for every day.

12 Comments on Musings on Faith, Style, and Creative Expression.

1. PepperReed
    January 27, 2014 at 1:09 pm (3 years ago)

*Amen* Beautifully written! I’m a Christian Quaker (raised Lutheran) and run in the Crazy Punk Rawk/Earth Mama Hippie crowd. It can be frustrating for both friends and strangers alike to assume that I’m either not a Christian (by association with the aforementioned crowd) or one of ‘those’ angry Christians — as if there’s just one kind!

I think diversity is wonderful; just look at this gorgeous Creation and all the gifts we have as children of God! Just amazing!! To share those gifts to their fullest and use them to create beauty and honor God is akin to a Joyful noise and a Blessing. It makes me sad that assumptions on ‘how’ anyone person is supposed to be a Christian (to dress a certain way) makes me sad. I say, keep on using your talents to create Beauty and know that you are Loved by the one who Creates us all.

2. hearthie
    January 27, 2014 at 2:10 pm (3 years ago)

Just dropping you a line of encouragement from a Christian sister who sews in your county. :) We’re out here!

3. Brigid Boyer
    January 27, 2014 at 3:53 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you so much for sharing this. What you expressed about living an artistic and faith filled life is exactly what my sisters and I always endeavor to do. With our singing, among our circles it is somewhat deemed “wrong” to sing songs that don’t have God mentioned in them, but we girls believe that you can sing secular songs to God’s glory, which is why we LOVE singing the Andrews’ sisters songs from the 1940’s, etc. It’s all about where your heart is coming from.
    You’re not the only one out there. We’re all here to help each other out in our walk with Him.

4. Emileigh
    January 27, 2014 at 4:59 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks for sharing! My faith (I’m a Christian, too) actually played a huge part in me deciding to wear vintage, and I identify with a lot of what you’ve said!

5. Corinne
    January 27, 2014 at 5:55 pm (3 years ago)

What a lovely and thoughtful story. I find you much more introspective and wiser than I ever was at your age. I too try to live my faith despite the influences around me. I am fortunate to have wonderful friends who support that life and we share strong values. I strongly believe that our Creator has gifted each of us with special gifts and talents. How we share and develop those skills is the choice we make. I heard an interesting quote today about time. To paraphrase: God has given us time to use wisely and if we waste it we are not honoring him. I am guilty of wasting time lately and trying to correct that bad habit. Thank you for sharing, may each day be blessed with your talents and respected by those who question but do not necessarily understand.

6. Annabelle
    January 27, 2014 at 6:20 pm (3 years ago)

Very well expressed…as a fellow Christian with creativity just bursting to get out all the time, I completely identify with everything you said!

7. Jennifer Rosbrugh
    January 27, 2014 at 7:41 pm (3 years ago)

It’s a great big beautiful tapestry that He has made! He “gets” us because He made us and knows more about us than we do. That’s the beauty of the journey. He knit in us a love of sewing and vintage and historical fashion. We may think it’s weird but He wants to spread His love through us to others who need to hear His voice.

8. Gina White
    January 27, 2014 at 8:47 pm (3 years ago)

Oh Lauren what a wonderfully writte post! I love how God saw fit to share His wondrous creativity with us! I agree with what Jennifer wrote above. I like to think He shared this gift with us to bring beauty and love to the world around us!

Blessings!
    Gina

9. Bonita Vear
    January 27, 2014 at 9:05 pm (3 years ago)

So much of what you have said really resonates with me Lauren. I too, feel that I just don’t quite fit in ~ even with my lovely church family. In someways it’s like they just don’t get the that the way I dress is part of my way of expressing my creativity; my stamp of a different mold. But like you say, there’s nothing of that I wouldn’t give up if the Lord asked me. I’d give it up in a heartbeat because that’s nothing less than He deserves.

I also wish I could find like minded-artists and kindred spirits who share my faith; it’s kind of a lonely walk sometimes ~ even though my husband is so supportive and does share where he can. I’m just glad that you can find that through the blogging community. Sure, it’s not quite the same as meeting people face-to-face, but how much better is it to connect over the internet than not at all. :)

xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

10. MrsC (Maryanne)
    January 27, 2014 at 10:30 pm (3 years ago)

Bless you, Lauren. To me, knowing God means living a life of love, self-expression and empathy, not acting or dressing a certain way, disapproving of things etc. We are meant to look to Christ’s life on Earth for inspiration on how to live, and it was conspicuously lacking in the judging, box into putting, disapproving and segregation areas! ;-)

11. Elisabeth
    January 28, 2014 at 3:47 am (3 years ago)

This post resonates deeply with me.

Almost two years have passed since I’ve held an ‘official’ costuming position (college theater) and in that time I’ve completed student teaching, gotten engaged, purchased a house, sewed my own wedding dress (I swear, that kills creativity. You want to work on other stuff, but you can’t, because OMG wedding dress) and then got married.

I’m finding that I feel like I’m still suffering from a bit of burnout. Your thoughts on it really help me identify why I feel the need to create, in a Christian context. I find more and more that the urge to create is so deeply founded in our relationship with God and in how we are made in his image.

On the flip side, I’m also finding that at some level, the need to create can also be subverted into finding ones identity in something other than God. I really appreciate your humility and openness in discussing materialism in connection with style, creating and art. It’s something that’s very missing in much discussion and conversation about these topics.

So often, costuming/vintage/sewing/whatever can become more about status, about identifying with a ‘tribe’ and less about enjoying life to its fullest. I’ve given up on tribes, even though I desperately long to cling to them for some form of identity. Whether that be theater, or PNW-outdoorsy-ness, or vintage, or costuming, or whatever – I don’t fit into ONE.

So what the heck. I’ll make my own tribe, I’ll sing my own song. I’ll live a happy, simple, beautiful Christ filled life and work to love every moment of it, even when times are tough. And yes, I’ll go make a beautiful and frilly (but useless) dress once and a while, because it makes me absurdly happy to use the skills that have been given to me.

When God created man in his own image, he created man to be a creator. Having just gone through the greater majority of the art museums in Washington DC, I am constantly and continually reminded of the wonder that is human creativity. What a great gift God has given us – not only that he loves us and gave us salvation and a relationship with him in the form of his Son – but that he gave us creative, wonderful and talented minds, that despite the fall, continue to create beauty at every turn.

12. Tina D
    January 28, 2014 at 12:29 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks for sharing!

When we stop wondering, we open the door for dissatisfaction and ego. When we become formulaic, we put limits on God. It’s wonderful that you are blessed with a fascination of history and a creative hand and intelligent mind. We are created in His image and are therefore creative beings and to express yourself and share that expression kindly is to honor Him. Don’t stop being yourself, because that is a high form of worship. And let’s not stop others from being themselves, either, for that is the second half of the greatest commandment, even if it means that they prefer Kohl’s to handmade. :)

Love the blog – keep going!