It’s about time! This was one of the first patterns I did as a “Resto-Vival”, back in 2010, and it’s finally time I actually sewed one up and took some photos!
At work recently, I had been given the task to create 1940s undergarments for stock (I’m currently working at a theatre), so I brought a printout of my handy dandy Wearing History digital bra pattern with me and set to work.
Although the original vintage pattern was stated a 32 (no up size), reviewers had said that this bra ran large. I found this to be the case as well. The dress form is 35″ around the bust and about a B cup, and it fit very well. I have edited the item description to note this.
A few little things I did for decoration that weren’t called for in the original pattern were the topstitching details. I found it easiest to finish the seams with a bias binding on the inside, so decided to go with contrast thread and use it as accents, and then continue the motif on the bottom piece of the cups. I also added real bra straps (not of ribbon or fabric as called for in the original and added a little bow at center front. The original pattern called for bias binding around the edges but I went with a bias facing instead, making it 1/2″ shorter at top and bottom than it would have been with facing.
All in all, I don’t know why I procrastinated on making vintage bras for so long! It went together super easy and very quickly. I’ve actually got a pale pink one partially constructed already, and can see making more. It’s funny leaving a pattern review of my own pattern, but there you have it!
If you want to try out your own version, you can purchase the digital download on my website for this 1940’s Brassiere Pattern.