I’m back from Costume College, my good friend is on her way back home to Texas, and it’s time to get back to real life. Woe! But I have some fun photos to share coming up, and the first of which I want to share is the 1870s plaid bustle dress project I posted about previously.
I finished it all up for the most part by the time my friend arrived, but since she had some extra sewing to do I started doing trimming. And more trimming. And more trimming. Someone on the American Duchess Facebook album of Costume College photos said it looked similar to old fashioned ribbon candy- and you know, I have to agree!
This one was lots of fun to trim. I love this time period. I can trim, and trim the trims, then trim the trim with trims. In this case the most fun things to make for trimming were the ruffles which were finished with a bias binding in the peach. Over the top of the ruffles at the side I ran a braid which was made of three tubes of bias made into cording and then braided. The bows that are accented with tassels at the end were lots of fun to make, too.
This outfit was made using Truly Victorian patterns. The bodice was made with Heather’s new 1872 Vested Bodice Pattern, TV403. The skirt was made with the 1875 Parisian Trained Skirt Pattern, TV216 (you can see my previous version of the skirt in their website photo). I’m a huge fan of Truly Victorian patterns- they make these Victorian patterns so accessible, and they make up really well! I documented working on this bodice in prior posts here, here, and here.
Capturing the correct colors of this outfit has proved quite difficult. In reality it’s probably a combination of the photos here in front of a blank background and the photos above.
The hat is actually a 1930s hat I had in my vintage collection. At the last minute I remembered I didn’t have appropriate headwear so I pulled out this one, which just so happened to match perfectly. I pinned little accents of the green onto the hat, added a pink feather and a few dress clips, and it suddenly became passable for 1870s. The entire dress was made from polyester taffeta (gasp!) but the fabrics looked so much like authentic silk taffeta, even in person, and had the same hand to the touch, that I was able to make the dress look passable on a much better budget than by using a more authentic silk. For a dress I’ll only wear on occasion, I decided it was a good sacrifice for me to make and it helped out my pocketbook ;)
That wraps up this project! The End ;)