Show and Tell- "Flora-Belle" Vintage Vase

I had to share my latest find!
 I found this really cute head vase at a local antique/estate sale, and I just love her! She’s seen her share of wear through the years and has a few chips and I think at one time she had ribbons sticking up which have broken off, but I truly think it adds to her character. She looks like she was handmade and is signed on the bottom- “Flora-Belle by Betty-Lou Nichols.” This is the first head vase I have bought, and I cherish her!

The flowers are from our garden- my husband has quite a green thumb- and I love how it looks like they’re her hat decoration.

Happy Friday!

15 Comments on Show and Tell- "Flora-Belle" Vintage Vase

1. Emma
    July 15, 2011 at 8:44 pm (6 years ago)

She is stunning! I had never heard of head vases so I Googled it, and coincidently the FloraBelle in green and pink was the first thing that came up:
    Looks like you were right about the ribbon!

• wearinghistory
      July 15, 2011 at 8:49 pm (6 years ago)

Holy smokes! I had no idea this was that valuable! I just thought she was cute, and she was inexpensive so I thought she’d look cute on my mantle. Granted, mine’s in no where near as nice condition, but still! Guess it was a good find!
      And thanks! :)

2. Carly
    July 15, 2011 at 9:10 pm (6 years ago)

How fun! And the flowers are gorgeous. It really makes for a stunning hat! :)

3. maryvannote
    July 15, 2011 at 10:44 pm (6 years ago)

That’s one of the coolest head vases I’ve ever seen!

4. Shelly
    July 16, 2011 at 4:09 am (6 years ago)

I’ve never seen anything like it…it’s so cute! And credit goes to your husbands green thumb; the flowers are lovely.

• wearinghistory
      July 18, 2011 at 4:18 pm (6 years ago)

Thank you! I’m glad he has the green thumb- I’m afraid I don’t have the discipline for gardening myself!

5. Susan
    July 17, 2011 at 9:00 am (6 years ago)

I have to say she is lovely and so you Lauren!

• wearinghistory
      July 18, 2011 at 4:19 pm (6 years ago)

Thank you so much!

6. Casey
    July 18, 2011 at 11:33 am (6 years ago)

How pretty!!!! I keep looking at head vases every time I go to the antique store nearby; I’d like one to keep my makeup brushes in. ;) But I love how unusual yours looks in comparison to some of the ones I’ve seen–very pretty and a great find!

• wearinghistory
      July 18, 2011 at 4:20 pm (6 years ago)

Thank you!
      Oh, that’s a lovely idea!
      I don’t think they quite knew what she was. She was used as a planter originally and is all icky on the inside from the dirt over the years, but when there’s flowers inside you can’t tell! :)

7. Heide @ApronHistory
    July 18, 2011 at 5:48 pm (6 years ago)

Love your head vase! She is so pretty! She is so 40s.
    I have one headvase I found in my Grandma’s basement. She looks like a china doll, her face is so sweet. I would love to have a collection, but they are so very exspensive! So I just enjoy the one I have!

• wearinghistory
      July 18, 2011 at 5:55 pm (6 years ago)

Thank you!
      Ooh, how lovely! That she is from your grandmother’s basement makes it even more sweet!
      I know how you feel. I used to admire them in antique stores, but knew I couldn’t afford one. I suppose that patience pays off sometimes! Mine may not be perfect (far from it) but she’s fun!

8. Richard Sillitoe
    October 8, 2011 at 1:46 am (5 years ago)

CONGRADULTIONS!!!I I collect the betty lou nichols art.I have one head vase like yours she is the largest she made.11 inches She also made figures and smaller heads 31/2 in toyour size I have about 15 heads and diffrent figures They are too cool Keep looking for the style you will be surprised at all the cool stuff she made also betty was a great artist and hired by disney way back to do things for fantasia