>Vintage Peasant Blouses

>I admit to having a weakness for handwork on vintage garments.  Embroidery, smocking, beading, all the little details that are so  beautiful and textural, but which I have absolutely no patience to do myself.  Today I thought I’d share a few images of some vintage peasant blouses in my collection.

My newest find, this vintage peasant top is so cheery and colorful!

Vintage peasant blouses, especially like my new one, had been on my vintage wish list for a really long time.  They are casual but still feminine.  Dainty but still bold, and really, they fill my head with dreams of vintage world travel and I love to concoct stories of lady adventurers bringing back mementos of their travels abroad.  Over the last few years I’ve been lucky to find these three darlings in unlikely places- in thrift shops and at a costume convention.  I couldn’t afford the ones from vintage specialty dealers, so it was true that good things come to those who wait!

This little cutie was found at a costume convention.  Somewhere along her lifetime eyelet trim was added at the hemline to lengthen it (which I’m debating on removing).  Strangely enough the embroidery on one sleeve is gray and white and on the other it’s black and white!

The cross stitch on the blouse above astonishes me! It makes my eyes hurt just thinking of doing all that work.  Isn’t it lovely, though?  This is my adventuress blouse, the first one I found, which I wore this summer to an Indiana Jones convention with vintage jodhpurs, boots, and pith helmet.  So fun!

I’ve seen these as dated from the 1930s, and I know there was a huge fad for them around that time, but I would think they kept making the blouses as imports or for the tourist market long after their peak popularity.  Because of this, though I could love to think they’re all from the 1930s I have to admit I really don’t know! But they’re pretty and I love them.

Do you like vintage peasant tops or do you own any- or are they something you would not wear?  I know for the longest time I associated them with the 1970s, but I even liked them then ;)

24 Comments on >Vintage Peasant Blouses

1. Kori
    March 25, 2011 at 10:32 pm (5 years ago)

>This is adorable and I always love these! Kori xoxo

2. Jackman Clan
    March 25, 2011 at 11:39 pm (5 years ago)

>I just bought one after seeing it on Golden Girl of the West – adorable. Can't wait for warmer weather to wear it!

3. Curvy Kitty
    March 26, 2011 at 12:24 am (5 years ago)

>StuInning! So pretty

4. iLiveinmyLab
    March 26, 2011 at 12:28 am (5 years ago)

>Oh wow those are fabulous! Love the outfit photo!

5. Erin
    March 26, 2011 at 12:35 am (5 years ago)

>I could not wear the one with two different colors of embroidery on the sleeves. That would drive me NUTS. But I love the first and last one!

6. Dakota C. Walsh
    March 26, 2011 at 1:06 am (5 years ago)

>These are gorgeous! I always used to cringe when I saw them and think 70s/hippy (not a bad thing, just not my taste); but seeing them in 30s and 40s pictures with cute little swing skirts or sporty slacks (like in your adorable outfit) has won me over!

7. Mouse in a Blouse
    March 26, 2011 at 1:17 am (5 years ago)

>They are gorgeous- thank you for sharing! I have a modern one made in the vintage style that looks a lot like the first one- but nothing compares to the real thing!

8. N. and M. Ziegfeld
    March 26, 2011 at 1:20 am (5 years ago)

>I absolutely adore the first blouse…too lovely! The others are pretty two, but that one really strikes my fancy. Like you, I adore the lovely intricate textural details of many vintage garments, peasant blouses like this included [natural fibers + lots of lovely embroidery? I'm there!] However, they REALLY fight my figure…ahg!

9. BaronessVonVintage
    March 26, 2011 at 1:45 am (5 years ago)

>I am in love with these, too…esp. the multicoloured ones. My own 30s blouse has the exact same inner tag as your white with black and grey one! How interesting!!

10. Debi
    March 26, 2011 at 2:27 am (5 years ago)

>ooohhh! Love these! I'm practicing my embroidery to someday make blouses like these! Though I must say cross-stitch take FOREVER! It's very time consuming but the end result is fabulous! Thanks for sharing xoxox

11. Steph
    March 26, 2011 at 8:32 am (5 years ago)

>Ach. Too much inspiration! Before I made most of my own clothes, I used to marvel at the amount of work that would go into hand-crafting such a lovely garment. I guess I didn't realize that if you put that much effort into something, you'd be sure to make it strong and durable enough to be worn…

12. Claire
    March 26, 2011 at 10:16 am (5 years ago)

>All 3 are stunning. I love these too, and recently bought a peasant dress from ebay billed as 1970s, so I presumed it was machine embroidered, but it's hand done and it seems earlier. Any tips on how to tell?! Is the fact that it's a dress date it as later than 30s 40s, perhaps?

13. Charlotte
    March 26, 2011 at 11:03 am (5 years ago)

>I'm in love with peasant blouses too! I bought a new one while in Thailand, and then came home to bagfulls of vintage clothing left for me to sell by a friend of my housemate, amongst which were TWO adorable peasant blouses! One is of the lightest, sheer cheesecloth fabric with teeny cross stitch embroidery, which like yours may well be as early as 1930s. The other has colourful smocking and satin stitch embroidery. I can't wait for summer so I can wear them with circle skirts, and trip through the fields pretending to be an Elvgren pin-up! xx CharlotteTuppence Ha'penny Vintage

14. Andrea
    March 26, 2011 at 12:28 pm (5 years ago)

>I love peasant blouses! I have plans to make one, using machine embroidery but the to-sew list just keeps getting longer and longer.

15. Lindsay
    March 26, 2011 at 1:45 pm (5 years ago)

>I am in love with those blouses.The first and the second are my absolute favorite.

16. angie.a
    March 26, 2011 at 2:48 pm (5 years ago)

>So pretty! I'm a sucker for these and for vintage "Mexican wedding dresses", which have that same colorful peasant flavor.

17. lauren
    March 26, 2011 at 3:04 pm (5 years ago)

>same here, i have a weakness for these bohemian pieces and collect them myself, i love the tags on them.

18. Tasha
    March 26, 2011 at 11:06 pm (5 years ago)

>I have always loved peasant blouses, but was a bit too worried that they'd look 70s. Coincidentally my first one arrived today from Etsy. A simple one, a cotton print, and guessing from the tag I'd say it was from the 50s. It reminds me of old westerns. Once I tried it on I realized didn't feel it looks 70s. So now I'll be on the hunt for something more intricate. I adore the embroidery on yours! What special touches.

19. Tickety Boo Tupney - A Dash OF Worcester Sauce.
    March 27, 2011 at 1:43 pm (5 years ago)

>Ah noooooo I could cry over 1 and 3- they are fabulous…they are weakness of mine too (having said that, I say that about a lot of things- all of which are true!) I have been longing for a wearable one for ages, and I have been thinking about making my own one for a while- but the embroidery and smocking daunts me so! I have and original 30’s crepe one but it’s tiny and has many issues :(- ah well one day I might get round to doing it…. Tups x

20. FairyFiligree
    March 27, 2011 at 4:26 pm (5 years ago)

>What gorgeous blouses. We share the same affinity with hand-decorated garments – I also adore embroidery of all sorts. I had a couple such blouses when I was a teenager – one came from Mexico, the other from Libya and a third from Turkey. I now have one made in Mexico which is however synthetic so not that comfortable to wear… I'm on my way to look out for some such beauties….

21. Lauren
    March 28, 2011 at 4:14 pm (5 years ago)

>Thanks, all! Glad to know there's so many other ladies who love peasant blouses!Claire, they certainly did make dresses in this style! They were very popular in the 1920s and the first half of the 1930s!

22. casey
    March 30, 2011 at 7:55 pm (5 years ago)

>These are to-die-for! I love vintage peasant blouses and have been searching high and low for something in the thrift shops (even a 70s knock-off in the right colors will do), but haven't found much. Although I have come close a couple times… I even started to embroider my own last spring, but gave up when I decided I really didn't love the color scheme at all that I had chosen. Maybe I should revisit that? ;) Thanks for sharing these!♥ Casey

23. Fleur de Guerre
    March 31, 2011 at 9:34 pm (5 years ago)

>These are stunning! I don't have any vintage ones, though I love the look so much and took full advantage when they were in fashion two summers ago, buying a few modern ones to wear. Perhaps a good thing as I would be too scared to wear such a beautiful, hand-embroidered piece!