>Parade of Colorful Dresses, 1938

>1938 is one of my favorite years for fashion.  It was colorful, it was fun, it was quirky.  Sportswear was the “in” thing, and so was novelty!  Here’s a few fun images from a 1938 catalog to enjoy!

17 Comments on >Parade of Colorful Dresses, 1938

1. Tilly
    June 25, 2010 at 6:49 am (7 years ago)

>Wowzers! Love the details on the yellow dress at the top and love the blue workwear outfit.There's a little film of a 1938 fashion show on my blog, as it happens.

2. Kate O
    June 25, 2010 at 8:13 am (7 years ago)

>I love that Gay Caballero blouse! x

3. Erin
    June 25, 2010 at 2:19 pm (7 years ago)

>Where do you find these old catalogs with such vivid color and unstained pages?

4. Lauren
    June 25, 2010 at 3:22 pm (7 years ago)

>Love it!

5. Java Bean Rush
    June 25, 2010 at 3:31 pm (7 years ago)

>Again, these pictures reminded me of Deanna Durbin's movie costumes, but I usually see them in black and white. What fun colors!

6. Elizabeth
    June 25, 2010 at 3:41 pm (7 years ago)

>Wow! These are STUNNING!

7. Wearing History
    June 25, 2010 at 3:48 pm (7 years ago)

>I'm so glad you all like them!VERY COOL fashion show clip! Thanks, Tilly!Erin, they're usually pretty yellowed and this one has pages falling out, but I scan them in and remaster them in photoshop before I post them :)Java Bean Rush, you're right! It is very reminiscent of Deanna Durbin's costumes! And even though it was a year before, it also reminds me very much of the wear of the college crowd in Busby Berkeley's "Varsity Show" :)

8. Lorie B
    June 25, 2010 at 4:51 pm (7 years ago)

>What always amazes me about these pictures is how colorful they are. I am used to seeing the clothing from that era in black and white from movies. And as much as I ADORE black and white movies…you do lose a sense of what things 'really' looked like in bold real life color. I makes me wish once again that I could just drop myself back into time for a week or two. With ALOT of money to buy hats, shoes and handbags. haha

9. Stefanie Valentine
    June 25, 2010 at 11:51 pm (7 years ago)

>Wow these are amazing! If there's one thing I love it's colourful vintage clothing, and these are so gorgeous!

10. The Collar of the Dove
    June 26, 2010 at 3:42 am (7 years ago)

>love them, especially all the yellow dresses!

11. Angela Iliadis
    June 26, 2010 at 1:22 pm (7 years ago)

>Fantastic styles and colours. I just love looking at them.

12. Angela Iliadis
    June 26, 2010 at 1:34 pm (7 years ago)

>You have a very interesting blog. I love all the images.

13. andrea.at.the.blue.door
    June 28, 2010 at 12:57 am (7 years ago)

>Changeable! Swishing! That bright green slip is sort of frightening. The striped socks are worth remembering, though.

14. casey
    June 29, 2010 at 4:55 pm (7 years ago)

>Oh wow! I always love seeing fashions from this era in color–it's amazing to see some of the combination and how bright things could be! So fantastic! I really love those short capelets in one of the scans; so sweet. Thanks for sharing these, Lauren!!! :)♥ Caseyblog | elegantmusings.com

15. Lauren
    April 7, 2011 at 11:39 pm (6 years ago)

>You have a very interesting blog. I love all the images.

16. Lauren
    April 7, 2011 at 11:39 pm (6 years ago)