From the wonderful Lauren at Lady of Portland House
1. Eggnog or hot chocolate? I actually don’t like either that much! I do, however, like a good peppermint mocha.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Well, at my grandma’s we still have someone mark “Santa”, but we pretty much all know it’s from my cousin or grandma. I have a sneaking suspicion it’s just an opportunity to give more gifts. :)
3. Colored lights on the tree/house or white? I like both! I used to be strictly white lights only, but I’m come to love colored lights- especially bubble light (drat them for being so expensive!)
4. Do you hang mistletoe? No, but my husband has a very obnoxious red baseball cap my cousin gave him as a gag gift and he loves it. It has plastic mistletoe on top and has silk screened on the front “Tis the Season for Kissin and Squeezin.” Gosh, it’s awful.
5. When do you put your Christmas decorations up? The week before Christmas, usually. I’m not so big on Christmas decorations, unless they’re extremely obnoxious.
6. Favorite holiday dish? Cranberries! And little biscuits my cousins make. Nom nom.
7. Favorite holiday memory as a child? I think I mentioned this before, but my favorite part was staying with my grandma when I was little. We would share a bed and she’d be so excited for me to open my gifts- she’d be up before me! I love her so much. Just her excitement stayed with me more than any other gift.
8. When did you learn the truth about Santa? As a kid I pretended there was a Santa as long as I could because I thought it would give me more gifts. I was rotten in some ways. Ha. But seriously, I was so afraid of loosing the magic of childhood that I tried so hard to believe even when I knew it was not true.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? No, we don’t.
10. How do you decorate a tree? I say “it looks like the 50s threw up on my tree”. Tinsel, colored lights, old bulbs, and a big bow on top. The more gaudy, the better. I don’t like mix-matched ornaments, though- they need to be vaguely the same type and color scheme. I’m not one for “collectors ornaments”, unless they’re special like Indiana Jones ;) or something my family made.
11. Snow! Love it or dread it? Love to look at it, hate being cold.
12. Can you ice skate? I’m very good at falling. Sorry, native of so cal. Don’t get much of a chance and last time I tried I wiped out a couple of kids, so I hung up the ice skates for good.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? When I was a kid I got a Strawberry Shortcake bike. Man, that thing was awesome. I also had American Girls, so anything from then was cool. Probably my favorite most recent gift was a beautiful horse made by my cousin Joanie. It’s in my display case and I have had lots of people who visit remark on how beautiful it is. She’s so talented.
14. What is the most important thing about the holidays to you? Being together with family. I wasn’t raised Christian, so in more recent years it’s been remembering and understanding the birth of our Saviour.
15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? I’m with Lauren on this one- Pumpkin Pie! Yummy!
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? I can’t really think of anything. We get together, open presents, eat food, and just hang out. Pretty awesome, if you ask me. My family is great.
17. What tops your tree? I need a proper tree topper- lately it’s been a big bow, but I want one of those big pointy 50s ones. Matt wants an angel. So bow it is.
18. Which do you prefer-Giving or Receiving? I like giving better, but I also like to receive gifts people picked out just for me. It makes me feel special when my family and friends really look for something they know I’d love, and I like making or searching for gifts the same way!
19. Favorite Christmas song? Maybe The Holly and the Ivy or Greensleeves. I like old timey tunes.
20. Candy Canes-Yuck or Yum? Meh. Peppermint mocha, please.
21. Favorite Christmas show? Don’t know if it counts, but I love The Thin Man. Next up Little Women. And also Miss Potter.
22. Saddest Christmas song? I’ll be home for Christmas- especially when I think of all the soldiers stationed overseas during WWII and today. Any wartime Christmas songs along similar lies make me sappy.